Monday, May 19, 2014

23rd Ulang Tahun


My birthday was never a big priority…until now. I recently discovered that I have had some pretty epic birthdays. As a result, I have this obsessive need to outdo the previous birthday. Here’s a detailed account of my best ulang tahuns.

Age 19- I traveled to Peru with my sisters, Mukti and Priti. My oldest sister gave birth to my niece Sophia back home in America. Later that night, we went to a restaurant on the Pacific Ocean in Lima, Peru. The restaurant was literally on stilts above water. My waiter gave me a private tour of the wine cellar.

Age 20- I celebrated Sophia’s first birthday in New York City. Afterwards, the adults went bar hopping to celebrate my birthday. I remember flirting with a really cute Canadian the entire night. I wonder where he is now…

Age 21- I drank with my good friends E.J., Amanda, Erin, Dave, and Sam after hiking 100 miles in Southern China. We followed the Long March trail that began Chairman Mao Zedon’s ascent to power. We ended in Yangshao after a 2-week journey. A day later, I flew to London to visit my then-boyfriend Peter. We walked to Hyde Park and ate Indian food.

Age 22- I packed up my dorm room in Washington, D.C. four days after graduating from American University. I was nominated to be a Peace Corps Volunteer but had yet to receive my country assignment. My future was open and full of hope. I didn’t say goodbye to my friends in D.C. Instead I said, “See you later.” It was a bittersweet birthday.

 Age 23- This year was...an interesting birthday. The day before, the Peace Corps announced our permanent sites. The staff created a large chalk drawing of East and West Java outside our training office. They called us up individually and told us where to go on the map. When I was called up, I asked the Peace Corps Country Director, “Sheila, can I hug you?” To my surprise, she said yes. I walked over to the East Java chalk drawing with a smile.

That smile was quickly wiped off my face when I looked down at the drawing beneath my feet. I felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness. I realized I am going to be alone in a desa somewhere in the middle of Indonesia for 2 years. I became dizzy, but I forced myself to smile. Later that night, all the Peace Corps trainees went out for a few drinks to celebrate/cry.

I was one of the criers.

Moving on from that embarrassing moment...

The next day (my actual birthday), I kept a low profile. I went shopping with my friend Lindsey in the nearby city of Malang. I was proud of myself for getting to the mall without having to ask for directions. That evening, I went to a traditional Indonesian festival with my friends Terceira and Cady. The stadium was very crowded. We decided to leave early, but I bought myself a balloon before heading home. When I got home, my host family wished me a happy birthday. I watched Midnight in Paris before heading to bed.

While this birthday was low-key, I still put it under the Epic category. I mean…how many people can say they spent their 23rd birthday in Indonesia?    

No comments:

Post a Comment