Sunday, May 11, 2014

Change the World


Pre-Service Training life is rough. I’m constantly tired. I feel like I’m in a fishbowl. I spend all day every day with the same 6 trainees. Every local knows where I am, where I’m going, who I’m with.  I’m walking on eggshells with my host family. I don’t want to offend them, yet I can’t hide who I am. For example, it took me two weeks just to muster up the courage to eat with my left hand. I stopped eating rice. I often find that I’m too assertive. I’m not trying hard enough to integrate.

Before coming here, I read blogs, asked volunteers questions, and emailed my recruiter biweekly. I thought I was prepared, but I didn’t realize how challenging this 2-year journey is. It’s sometimes difficult to remember why I joined the Peace Corps in the first place. Every volunteer joins for his/her own reasons. What are mine?

I remember very well my last few minutes with my brother-in-law, Rahul. He dropped me off at the Path Station in New Jersey, gave me a hug, and said, “Go change the world.” I’ve been thinking about this moment for the entirety of my Peace Corps training.

Change the world. How do I do that? Where do I start? Who do I change? When will I see results? I mean…I’m 22 years old. I graduated college in May 2013. In my year off, I sat around my house and read I am Malala. I went to Europe for a hot second. I shoveled a lot of snow. I haven’t even made a student loan payment, yet Rahul suddenly expects me to change the world!? This is a lot of responsibility to put on someone who still watches Spongebob Squarepants.

The longer I stay in Indonesia, the more I realize that I didn’t join the Peace Corps to change the world. I recognize that I am only 22. I’m so young. I have a lot to learn from others. I need to mature by figuring out how I can solve my own issues. I need to grow. I need to listen to the people around me. I need to stop being in my own head and observe. Most of all, I need to stop thinking that my way is best. Not everyone needs to take my path in life in order to be a good person. I want to challenge myself and I want others to challenge my opinions. 

I didn’t join the Peace Corps to change the world. I joined the Peace Corps to understand it.   

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I lived in Ecuador for a year. I went there wanting to make an impact on the world. I soon realized that it was silly and naive to want to change a country I had never been to and whose language I didn't even speak. That year was an amazing period of hardships and joy and growth.. and it wouldn't have been if I hadn't changed my mentality to letting Ecuador change me and not vice versa. Thank you for sharing your story! I am so excited to follow your exciting adventure through this blog!

    ReplyDelete