Sunday, June 1, 2014

End of Training


Tomorrow I become a Peace Corps Volunteer. Tomorrow is the day that training officially ends. There is a special ceremony to swear us in as Peace Corps Volunteers.

This morning, we all headed to Malang (the nearby city) to rehearse the ceremony in the University of Muhammadiyah Malang dome. Our Country Director gathered us in front of a large screen. After scolding us on our lack of professional attire, she played a short video clip. It was a video of current volunteers congratulating us on completing Pre-Service Training. Volunteers danced and sang along to “Best Day of my Life” by American Authors. Some volunteers danced on beaches, jumped into water, trekked through rice fields, and skipped down streets. In a flash I saw how beautiful Indonesia is. I am incredibly lucky to live here.

During rehearsal I thought about the past three months. Training has come with a lot of ups and downs. I can’t fully explain the emotional trip I’ve been on since I arrived. The highs are really high, but the lows are incredibly low. One moment I’d be ecstatic over the fact that I learned how to get around Malang. Three hours later I’d be crying in the fetal position in my bedroom while my ibu asked me for the 9th time if I wanted to eat.

The toughest battle I’ve faced is wrapping my head around the lack of solidarity in the Peace Corps. Although we’re experiencing a similar journey, that doesn’t mean we all joined for the same reason. This sometimes created a sense of loneliness during training.

However, my relationship with my host family gives me hope. I love the calmness of my host dad’s personality. I love my ibu’s silliness and obsessive need to take care of me. I love giggling with my host sisters when talking about boys. And I love coming home to my host brother. He races his friends up the street so that he can be the first one to give me a hug. Although I will miss my crazy family, I am excited to create new relationships with the locals in my permanent site.

After I am sworn in, I will be shipped off to Panggul, East Java. I will teach at a public high school. I will live with a new host family. My host father is a retired government official. My host mother is a schoolteacher. My host sister is a midwife. I’m so excited to have a fresh start in a new place.

Tomorrow I become a Peace Corps Volunteer. Wish me luck!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment