Thursday, June 4, 2015

Temporarily Homebound: Tips on having a Successful Vacation in America

Peace Corps Volunteers are allowed 48 vacation days during their 2 years of service. Many PCVs take these golden vaca days to head back to the land of the free and the home of the brave. I chose to take my trip to America right smack dab in the middle of my service. One year down, one year to go. The countdown for my vacation started weeks in advance. At times I thought the anticipation was going to kill me. I couldn't have been happier when I left my village and boarded a New York City bound plane. But, when I got to the good ole US of A, things were a little different than what I expected. A few other volunteers gave me advice on how to handle myself during my 2 weeks at home.  Here's a few tips/tricks to help PCVs have a successful trip home to America.

Don't go overboard with your Peace Corps tales: I get it. You're excited to talk about every little detail about your life. Peace Corps tales tend to be hilarious anecdotes about awkward misunderstandings, long bus rides with farm animals, strange parasites that have entered your body, etc. But you have to remember that you haven't seen your friends and family for a while. They also have tales of their own. They will want to tell you as much about their lives as you do of yours. Hand them the mic, will ya?

Give yourself some alone time: You know exactly what I'm talking about. Most PCVs have hours upon hours worth of free time. Throughout your service you build up a high tolerance for that solidarity without realizing it. It can be daunting to talk to friends and family for hours at a time. My solution is to limit myself to one large social event a day and/or give myself some alone time. I either go for a run or head to a coffee shop by myself. No one can come. No one can talk to me. Just me, myself, and I.

Stay in touch with people from your country of service: It's great to stay present, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the life you have at site. A friend of mine suggested that I keep in contact with other PCVs and people from my site in order to stay connected to my life in Indonesia. She said she felt disconnected from everyone when she returned to site. Speaking from experience, coming home to America feels like I've stepped into some alternate reality. I look around and think, "This could have been my life if I stayed..." Don't let yourself fall into that trap. Stay connected to your PC life so that it makes it easier to come back.

Make post-vacation plans with PCVs or people from your site: You've been looking forward to your American vacation for so long that you have trouble picturing returning to site.  It's easy to get back into the groove of American life and trick yourself into thinking that you don't miss your Peace Corps experience. Jumping back into your sweaty clothes and 100 degree weather won't seem like a fun task when you're enjoying endless amounts of cheese, wine, burgers, air condition, family, and friends. Make plans with people in your host country so that post-vacation life becomes a reality. I'm getting pumped for Ramadan fasting and another fourth of July at Pacitan beach with my site mate, Russel!

Don't stop speaking your host country language: Teach your family and friends a couple of phrases that you typically use while at site. Almost every PCV has a fun go-to word or phrase that they frequently use. Use these at home as a fun way to stay connected to your host country. I have taught my family these three beautiful and oh-so fun words: Sudah (already), belum (not yet) and Alhamdulillah (thanks be to God). It's hilarious to tell my family that I "sudah ate dinner" or to say "Alhamdulillah" to my 7 month old nephew every time he sneezes. Teaching people a bit of the language also allows you to open up a dialogue about your PC life. But remember, don't go overboard. Your family doesn't need to learn the language to the extent that you do.

Those are all the tips I have for now. I'm heading to the District of Columbia tomorrow to meet some more friends and family! But before I leave, I'd like to brag about how I have the cutest niece and nephew in the world. My sister had her son while I was in my village. I just met him and he's THE BEST NEPHEW IN THE WORLD. Here's a photo to prove it:

Sophia and Ari. They're never going to do anything wrong. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Kruti. I do enjoyed reading your block. You are such excellent story teller. Good writer. I hope you will have the rest exciting months of your PCV service at Panggul.

    ReplyDelete