Thursday, May 21, 2015

Dormant

It’s hard to find new topics to write about for my blog. Indonesia hasn’t lost its appeal; I’m still in love with my life here. Rather, I have become accustomed to the aspects of Indonesia that I used to find amazing. At a certain point, Peace Corps life becomes mundane. The things that intrigue people back home are just biasa (normal) to me.

A year ago, I would gush over every little cultural difference I encountered. I’d write about it in my diary. I’d call my friends and compare experiences. I even bragged to fellow PCVs about pooping my pants (it’s a Peace Corps badge of honor to poop your pants). Everything was new and exciting. But now, life is just…life.

If the power runs out from yet another rain storm, I pick up a candle and a good book. I bathe with cold water every morning and every evening without flinching. When I want to spend time with fellow PCVs, I sit on an 8 hour bus ride to Surabaya with minimal complaint. If a man tries to bring a goat or chicken onto the bus, I simply scoot over to give the man some room.

The wanderlust in me is not dead; it’s just dormant. I have become comfortable in my environment and I have no reason to leave any time soon. When I leave Panggul,I find myself getting anxious if I am away for a while. I want to go back to my desa/my school/my house and return to my daily activities. I feel out of place traveling for too long. In fact, people in my village comment if I am absent for a few days.

“Why weren’t you at prayer last week, miss?”

“Why didn’t you come to class?”

“When will you come back, kakak Kruti?”

People miss me and I miss them. I am no longer a stranger in a strange land. I’m a local. Here, I have a home.
This is my biasa position: on my front porch, reading a book, eating soto ayam, and drinking Indonesian black coffee in my PJ's. Come join! 

No comments:

Post a Comment