Wednesday, August 20, 2014

School is Cool

Independence Day (Independence Weeks, I should say) finally ended! The last celebration was hands down the most fun. My fellow teachers and I dressed up what looked like a pirates costume and marched in a parade in the village center. There were groups that represented different parts of Java. There was a float that had 2 teenagers dressed as the Javanese kind and queen. My favorite group was a group of young boys dressed in ugly masks. The masks represented the idea that a person’s inner beauty is more important than their outer beauty. I danced through the streets under the hot island sun. It was the perfect way to end Independence Day celebrations.

Fellow teachers and me (dressed in the red and white stripes). I was dressed like a man and had a makeup mustache and beard

Boy with an ugly mask to represent inner beauty


And more good news! School finally started. I started observing my counterpart. Yesterday, however, I helped with a reading comprehension activity. I can only teach 10th and 11th graders. I am not able to teach the senior class because their English class is focused primarily on the passing the national exam. However, I asked my counterpart if I could still help out with the class. I want to help the students with their homework or class assignment. I’m trying to be as involved as possible.


I’m hoping to join the English club at my school. I want to paint a large map of the glove at my school. I will assign each student a country and he/she will present on the assigned country. I’m so excited to finally start! My counterpart is great to work with and my students are eager to have me in class. It’s good vibe all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment