Monday, August 4, 2014

I'm An English Teacher, Aren't I?


People ask me what I do in the Peace Corps. I tell them, “I’m an English teacher.” When they ask me how I like it, I can’t answer. I’ve been at my permanent site for 2 months. I have yet to step foot inside a classroom. I proctored tests in June, but I literally sat on my computer chatting with my sisters and friends. I was new to the village when I “watched” kids during testing. I couldn’t help them even if they asked.

It is now August and I still haven’t taught a single lesson. First, there was a two week break after testing. Then there was school during Ramadan for another 2 weeks. However, there were no classes. Students just came to school for orientation and to go to prayer sessions. Then there was another two week break. Now, school has started up today.

However, I went to school without knowing the semester schedule. I asked my counter part (co-teacher) when I would be teaching. She said, “We will get the schedule soon. Hopefully by tomorrow.”

I sat through a meeting. I didn’t understand a word, so I sat on my computer updating myself on current events. I also planned a trip to Singapore. But good news! The schedule was distributed at the end of the meeting. However, I still won’t be able to teach until September. I am required to observe for a minimum of two weeks before I even think about touching a piece of chalk to a chalkboard.  Oh well. I’m patient.

Overall, I’ve learned that Indonesian culture is similar to me. It’s nonchalant and flexible. Locals may not be the best when it comes to planning. In fact, a lot of events seem to be planned last minute or on the spot. No one knows what’s going on or when things will start. Everyone is a little aloof, but they like it that way. It’s as if I’m living in a village full of people exactly like me. Naturally we have other differences, but I am not bothered by the relaxed atmosphere of me school. I feel at home here. The locals just get me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment