Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hantu Pulang


I believe in ghosts.

Go ahead. Take a moment to laugh. It’s ok. I get it all the time.

Are you finished? Ok, cool.

So yeah…I believe in ghosts. I’m no Ghost Buster. I don’t chase after spirits or play with Qujia boards. In fact, I try to live in ignorance when it comes to the unknown (that’s why they call it the “unknown”, duh).

Unfortunately I can’t escape the subject of ghosts in my household. My host sister (Nia) constantly watches a reality television show about people who are possessed by demons. Whenever I walk passed the living room Nia’s eyes are glued to a man screaming and crawling around the floor. Supposedly, he’s possessed. I don’t stick around to find out whether this is true or not.

Last week I left my house after dark because I needed to get an assignment from another trainee. When I returned my ibu (host mother) pushed me into the kitchen corner and instructed me to stand there. She then frantically waved her arms around my body as if she was performing reiki on me.  I stood there utterly confused. Afterwards, she took a deep breath and said, “Hantu pulang.” This translates into, “The ghost went home.”

I screamed for Nia to explain everything. Apparently, a ghost followed me home and clung onto my back. By waving her arms at me, my ibu successfully sent the ghost home.

My ibu then casually asked me if I wanted to take a bucket bath. I looked into the bathroom. It must have been a weird coincidence, but at that moment the bathroom light flickered.

I skipped my bucket bath and slept with the lights on.

No comments:

Post a Comment