Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Why I Love Living in a Muslim Village

I have always found “Islamophobia” to be a cringe-worthy word. I hear about it in the news, read about it online, and now that I live in a Muslim village, I aware of it now more than ever. My fellow Peace Corps Volunteer, Jen McArdle, wrote a very eloquent blog post about her experience with Islamophobia. You can read about it here.

She literally took the words right out of my mouth. Instead of repeating any of her brilliance, I’d like to take a moment and share aspects of my Muslim community that I find beautiful. I feel like I don't write enough about my experience with Islam and I wanted to take this day as an opportunity to share. Wednesday, October 14, 2015 is the Islamic New Year. To celebrate, I would like to show you photos of my experience with the religion of Islam and I want to tell you stories of everyday kindness that I’ve seen here.

Let’s start with the most audible form of Islamic beauty: Call to Prayer.
Many Muslims around the world pray five times a day.  For each Adhan (the Arabic word for call to prayer) the mosque near my house blasts a prayer from a loud speaker. The five Adhans and the times for each prayer are:

1)  Fajr –  before sunrise
2) Thuhr - just after noon
3) Asr – the mid-afternoon
4)  Maghrib – after sunset
5) Isha – performed at night

My personal favorite is Maghrib. During this time, my host parents shut all the doors in the house. No one is allowed to leave and the house must remain quiet. I especially love Maghrib during rainy season. I love listening to the mosque loudspeaker singing a beautiful Islamic prayer through the pitter-patter of raindrops that fall on my clay ceiling. Maghrib is always a peaceful house in my house.

Muslims and Dates

Huh? No…I’m still single. Why do you ask?
OHHHHH. You thought I was talking about dates. No, I’m talking about dates, the fruit!

People eat dates during the month of Ramadan because dates are known as the food Muhammad ate when he broke from his fast. I didn’t fast during Ramadan, but one of my favorite things to do was to sit with my family and eat a handful of dates every night. YUMMM

Prayer Group
Every Sunday evening at 6:30pm, I go to a prayer group with my counterpart. Each member of the group pays a small fee of 3,000 Rupiah (about 25 cents) so that we can use the money to buy snacks and tea. The prayer session lasts about 30 minutes. The women were nice enough to gift me a little booklet with Yasin, which is one of the letters in the Quran. I’ve even started to learn some of it!
I try to go to these prayer meetings every week, but when I skip the women make sure to let me know that I was missed. They say things like, “We missed you last week! We ate peanuts, your favorite!” or “The meeting was at my house last Sunday. I wish you had come!” 

My ibus and me (in the green head scarf)

When I went home to America last June, they prayed for me to have a safe flight home. As I was leaving, some of the women told me to call them before I left America. “We will pray again for your safe flight back to Indonesia,” they told me as they kissed both of my cheeks.

The prayer book the ibus gifted me

Prayers for the big moments
This leads me to my next favorite thing about living in a Muslim village. Many people I have met here have offered to pray for me at some point or another. My nephew was born last year, but he had to stay at the hospital for an extra 2 weeks because he was born 3 pounds and 13 ounces. When I told my host mom, she immediately put on her prayer dress and headed straight for the mosque. “I will pray for him. What’s his name?” she asked as she rushed out the door. It didn’t matter to her that my family is not Muslim. It didn’t matter to her that she has never met my nephew or my sister. There was a baby in trouble, so naturally she prayed for its health.

Saying Alhamdulillah
Alhamdulillah in Arabic means “Praise be to God.” I hear this word a lot in Indonesia and I say it all the time. This word rolls off the tongue and is appropriate for so many situations. When people ask me how I’m doing, I say, “I’m great! Very healthy.” The response I always get is….
Alhamdulillah!

When I tell my students that I’m pushing the test to next week....
Alhamdulillah!

When my host mother finishes a delicious meal she just cooked...
Alhamdulillah!

When my Peace Corps stipend finally gets to my bank account....
ALHAMDULILAH!

Sometimes this phrase is even used as a call-and-respond phrase. My bapak frequently comes into the house and just says, “ALLHUMDU….” and everyone who is in the house (i.e. my host mom, host sisters, and me) says, “…. LILAH!”

Saying Insha’Allah

Insha’Allah means “if Allah wills” or “God willing.” I’ve heard this phrased used in situations that require hope. When my host sister applied to university, she would tell people, “I will go to college in Malang, Insha’Allah.” It’s as if she knew the power was out of her hands as soon as the application was submitted and all she could do was hope. This phrase, in my opinion, sounds beautiful every time I hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment