Monday, October 5, 2015

Special Brownie: The Pros and Cons of being Indian American in Indonesia

The white Americans in my program fascinate many Indonesians. From what my friends have told me, the white volunteers get invited to a lot of social gatherings, the staff at their schools wants them to show up to every event, and people will flock volunteers just to get a photo with them. In some cases, neighboring schools will invite the volunteers to teach. The white volunteers are celebrities here, but that isn’t always a good thing. My friend Cait recently wrote a post about how she is frequently compared to a Barbie Doll, a toy that is admired and lugged around for show. My site mate, Kayleigh, describes her “role in [her] community is that of a show pony.” You can read about Cait's experience here:



When I walk with white volunteers I notice locals shouting “BULE! BULE! BULE!” (FOREIGNER! FOREINGER! FOREIGNER!) to get our attention. I asked Terceira, a PCV in West Java, if this bothers her after being here for a year.

“It’s just white noise (pun completely intended) at this point,” she said. But I hear it loud and clear. I blend into the crowd, so I rarely get shouted at. When it does happen, I’m shocked every time.

I thought about how stressful that would be if I had to deal with that on a daily basis. Although I like attention, I must be in control of the attention. I like performing on stage, making speeches, and being in the middle of a dance circle. However, I do not like being put on the spot or being asked to make a speech with no preparation. Apparently this happens to the white volunteers all the time.

I was having a conversation about school life with another PCV, Craig, when he asked me, “Doesn’t your school sometimes stick a microphone in your hand when you’re standing in front of a huge crowd of kids and ask you to motivate the students?”
“No…?” I said looking incredibly confused.  Why on earth would my principal make me do that?” I thought.

Blending into the Indonesian crowd has also motivated me to study the language more. When I was out and about with other volunteers, locals used to pick me out of the group to talk to me. They assumed my Bahasa Indonesia is better than the white volunteers (which is not true at all, by the way). I used to get really annoyed at this because I knew I was being singled out for my skin color. However, I just decided to work with it rather than against it. I started expanding my vocabulary just in case locals didn’t want to talk to my friends. This ended up benefiting me a lot. I became confident in my language skills and began telling people, "My friends can speak Bahasa, too." 

But blending in doesn’t always have its perks. I used to get worried when other volunteers visited my site and my school. I was afraid that if locals saw a white volunteer, the staff at my school would want that volunteer instead of me. This isn’t an abnormal fear, either. There have been situations where schools specifically ask Peace Corps for a white volunteer. Luckily I didn’t face discrimination when I moved to Panggul. I asked my regional manager to make it clear to my school, my counterpart, and my host family that I am Indian American. I didn’t want there to be any confusion or disappointment.

My brown skin also once caused me to get kicked out of a photo. I was hanging out with two white volunteers at Bromo Mountain. A woman tried to take a photo of us and asked me to step out of it. She only wanted a photo of the white volunteers. The two other PCVs stood by me and told her she couldn't take a photo unless I was in it, too. This was exactly a year ago. Since then I have shut down any request to have my photo taken. I don’t want my feelings to get hurt like that again. The only people I take photos with are my students and that’s only because they’re adorable and I love them. At this point in my service, I’ve noticed many volunteers have become annoyed with locals taking photos of them. I’m glad I’m not alone on that.


Despite the negatives, being an Indian American has really helped me integrate into my community. It used to bug me that I'm not a celebrity like my friends are, but now I've come to love it. Some of my Peace Corps friends call me up confused because they don’t know if a local genuinely likes them or just likes having a white person as their friend. “Do they like me or do they just like me because I’m white?” is a phrase I frequently hear. I don’t have to worry about that. Indonesians either take the time to get to know me or they ignore me. I'm perfectly fine with that! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment