Monday, July 14, 2014

A Picture Says A Thousand Words, But Captions Never Hurt Anyone

My counterpart (co-teacher) putting a hijab on me. We were on our way to a prayer session because a new shop opened up in town. Everyone was blessing the new shop and praying for its success.


After the prayer session, everyone enjoyed a dish called Sato Ayam (chicken soup). It is by far my favorite Indonesian dish


The neighbors help a woman with her business. Here, my host family and neighbors are pumping cooking oil from the large blue tub (right) and weighing it on a scale (center) and putting the oil into reused containers. The woman in the stripes will later sell the containers at her shop. The Beatles were right. We can all get by with a little help from our friends


My host sister and me off to another prayer session


Lol...did you really think I'd omit a good cat photo? #crazycatlady


Toko: a small shop. This particular one is near the beach. It sells drinks, snacks, batteries, kites, and a few other random items



One of the many rice fields in my village


This is what the roads look like in my neighborhood. The two sides are paved, but the middle is just grass, leaves, and rocks. The rest of the village has fully paved roads


The view on my morning jogs


The goat cages


The view I have on my way to the beach


MY FAVORITE!!!!! I love holding the kids here. They're so adorable


This is the waterfall that is 20 steps away from the beach. I like to dip my feet in the pool below the waterfall on hot days


PCV Haley enjoying the waterfall. She lives 2 hours from my site. We see each other frequently, especially when we need a break


The beach with the mountains in the background. My favorite reading spot

I am suddenly terrified for my life every time  I cross this rickety bridge


An Indonesian farmer crossing the bridge (fearlessly, unlike me)



A village watch tower. Men take turns to watch over the village at night. They walk around and sometimes sit for hours in these watch towers. During the day, I like to go to secluded areas and read 


Breaking the Ramadan fast at Haley's site. These are friends of Haley's teenage host sister. We sat around and exchanged ghost stories that night (btw, Haley, The Chicken Footed Woman is NOT a real ghost story!)


The desk in my room. No, it's not usually this tidy


Making it feel like home with decorations. Btw, if someone could please send me an American flag, that would be greatly appreciated. (Not funny, Pulkit, not funny)


My bed! Yes, those are Hello Kitty bed sheets. I don't actually have a blanket. It is so hot here that I only sleep with a thin shall that I bought from China

My house! My bedroom is the two windows on the left. My bed lines up with the windows. On rainy days, I like to open up the windows and listen to the rain while I read or watch TV.  


1 comment:

  1. Awesome Canadian Flag Bucka! Love that your reppin' the True North Strong and Free!

    ReplyDelete