Thursday, March 13, 2014

Twas the Night Before Departure


Twas the night before departure, and I was in New York City.
My family members were worried, especially my sister Priti. 
While I was packing Rahul asked, "Are you excited?" 
"To start a new life?" I said, "Heck yes! I'm delighted!"

This got me thinking. What's in store for next year?
How much will I change? Is there anything to fear?
What will I do? With whom will I meet?
How hot is the weather? Can I handle the heat!?

I then made a list of goals and expectations.
I promised to leave home without hesitation.

I will learn local customs. I will teach them about mine.
I will eat Indonesian cuisine that is simply divine!  
I will learn to speak Bahasa as fluently as I can.
I will fulfill the Peace Corps mission as a proud American.

Where will I be placed? In East or West Java. 
I hope to avoid earthquakes and volcanoes with hot lava.
I will work in a school to teach English classes. 
I hope to teach well so that each student passes.

I'm sure there will be many challenges in store.
But this is an adventure; this is THE PEACE CORPS!
This isn't going to be easy. It isn’t all fun,
And I won't come out until my service is done.

Will I save the world? Most certainly not. 
But my goal is to leave a mark and to not be forgot.
I shall leave in the morn. Wish me a safe flight. 
Farewell to all, and to all a good-night! 


*Credit for poem format to Clement Clarke Moore, author of "A Visit from St. Nicholas"

2 comments:

  1. omg have a safe flight & have an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures and the great things you're doing.

    ReplyDelete